Friday, August 31, 2007

Is It Time to Upgrade?

This is the time in most people's lives when everything has to be weighted in order to make the right decision. I have grown so attached to you. I don’t know if life will still be worth living without you. I have already placed a permanent spot for you in my life my 1 year old Nokia 3310.


I’m not really sure of its actual age. My then flat mate sold it to me after getting bored with it. It’s only been with him for 2 weeks. I can’t blame him. 3310 became boring after the turn of the millennium. Yep, right after everyone drooled at the then popular 5110. Caller ID was classified as an innovation, 3 minutes later it became a thing of the past.

Mobile phones are evolving faster that anything else we’ve ever seen. A million years from now, paleontologist will call our time the mobile phone era in the epoch of information technology. Maybe I should fossilize my phone and donate it to the nearest museum of outdated technology.


I’m not big on phones. This is due to two separate instances of phone theft. The fist one happened in a bar before I even started drinking. In an instant after a pee break my 3660 was gone. That was my first annual bonus down the drain. It did give me the reason the get stinking drunk. After that I decided to downgrade, thinking that thieves go for models that stink of easy cash. I was wrong. Even my previously owned 5210 was also stolen. This time on a bus on my way home, why did I not take a taxi?!

Not wanting to waste any more money I agreed to buy my ultra basic 3310. Who needs a fancy phone? I can’t even burn a P300 call card in a month. I know how to take advantage of Chikka and Skype. Even yahoo has SMS feature. Why buy a 24/7 call and text card when all my friends buy it? If they need me they will call me. If I need them then that’s the only time I will burn 6.50 a minute.


So is it time to make an upgrade? I guess it is when a 3310 decides to let go of it's ghost. I need a new phone! A 3310i!



1 comment:

Super Florian said...

Oh com'on! Get a new phone! Pronto!
:P